vendredi 15 juin 2007

At First I Was Afraid… I Was Petrified…

At First I Was Afraid… I Was Petrified…
15 June 2007

Today I actually rollerbladed! The thrill was indescribable!
The first time I tried to rollerblade, my boyfriend volunteered to teach me- Bad idea! Simply being a boyfriend does not qualify one to be an instructor. They are also notoriously impatient with their girlfriends. It felt like hell on wheels: The boots pinched my feet. I was hot and sore and bruised all over. Where was the cool factor?! After numerous falls and spectacular permutations of swear words, I learnt an important lesson: Save the relationship and your butt... Pay someone who knows what they're doing!

For my second time I hired someone from one of the rollerblade rental places to teach me. He was more patient than the boyfriend but not much more knowledgeable. The instructions went something like this: ‘You push with one leg and then with the other’. My mental mutterings went something like, ‘IF I KNEW HOW TO DO THAT, I WOULDN'T HAVE HIRED YOU!!’
The third time had to be a charm or I would swear off this thing for good. So I got serious and hired myself an instructor with the following qualifications: She's patient, fun and coaches the Quebec speed skating team. I figured she must know a thing or two both about teaching and about skating. That proved to be the winning combination!

It took a few lessons with Marie-Lou but I saw rapid progress from one lesson to another: The first time she had me practicing some basic moves…. on the grass!!! It may sound weird but it was the best thing she did for me! I wasn’t afraid to try since the grass would cushion my fall. For the second lesson she had me holding the fence as I wobbled along with her partly leading me. Then she brought a cart so I would have some support but would also begin to feel the sensation of what it was like to really ‘blade!

At every lesson she would explain to me not only the technique but also proper form. The last was the hardest part to learn: You have to hold your body in a unnatural position with your butt out and your knees bent and then ensure your shoulders are held back. So much for looking cool!

During many of the lessons, I felt like a child learning how to walk. Marie-Lou encouraged me when I found it hard and laughed with me when I thrilled at every new step I could take.

I have a phrase buzzing in my brain from that old movie, Fame… "I’m gonna live forever… I’m gonna learn how to fly…" And today… I did!

Tazmin A. Shariff (Bat Cave client)

Aucun commentaire: